Thursday, October 22, 2009

{cucina} Persimmons/cachi & good old memories

It's time for another great recipe!


When I saw this at Cannelle et Vanille I gasped. Beside the beautiful food delights photography {have I told you I have a weakness for food photography? Yea a big one} Oh it does take me back in time. Growing up in the Italian part of Switzerland (the beautiful Lugano), there's plenty of persimmons trees all around. You see this great orange fruits decorating the landscape in harmony with the season. And not always because on trees let me tell you. Cause a lot of this fruit ends up on the floor and pretty well smashed on it.. yep. And that is a sad sad thing. But no matter what the color it brings is beautiful!

My dad is the biggest fan I know. When little I was a bigger fan myself and I've always been eating it the same way. Plain from the tree, with big bites! Oh and it is kinda messy hahahaha! The texture this fruit has is so unique. There's nothing like it. Goodness I can taste it right now just thinking about it.

I've never really thought I could make some creative recipe with it, and I've never took the time to think twice about it. For some reason I thought that cachi {persimmons} are one of those things you can't put in a cooked dish, just like.. mmm let's see, just like figs. Untill you end up knowing that you can actually do a lot with figs and persimmons.
And that goes along with the traditions I know.. There is no Swiss Italian traditional dish with cachi if not to be eaten fresh from trees, or ending up as jam.


Until today I didn't know it could be used as an ingredient of something special like this great recipes. And let me tell you, I'm on it! I'm going to try to make this very soon.


Poached Persimmon, Mascarpone and Marsala Sabayon and Pistachio Crumble Verrines
go here for this great recipe {by amazing Aran}


Persimmon Upside Down Yougurt and Olive Oil Cakes
go here for this great recipe {by amazing Aran}

{all images are courtesy and copyright of Aran Goyoaga at Cannelle et Vanille}

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...